Hoover Dam, which is also known as Boulder Dam, is definitely a magnificent man made creation. It plays a very important role in protecting millions of people from the Colorado River's seasonal flooding while offering them drinking water during dry season. Erected over the Black Canyon, Hoover Dam is located very close to Boulder City, Nevada.
Since Hoover Dam opened to the public for tours in 1937, annual attendance has kept increasing from year to year. Today, it plays host to over a million of tourists every year. Various tours offered by the Bureau of Reclamation are available for people all over the world.
If you would like to take an in-depth tour to Hoover Dam - one of the world's largest man made wonders, keep reading to pick out a suitable tour to get the most out of your Hoover Dam trip.
Before you book your tour of Hoover Dam, please be advised that people with claustrophobia are not suggested to take these tours. Opening hours of Hoover Dam are from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. every day except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day when it will be closed.
To ensure you an enjoyable and satisfied Hoover Dam experience, you can reach out to the Hoover Dam Tour Company which has provided Hoover Dam tours for visitors since 1982. This company offers four types of tours for tourists to choose from.
1) Premium Express Bus Tour: The Bus Tour is characterized by a narration of the history of Las Vegas and a vivid video for visitors to learn more about the construction of the Dam. Upon your arrival, you will be offered a two-hour tour to the Hoover Dam Power Plant. If you like, the tour guide will leave you enough time to walk along the Dam to explore amazing art works or do some sightseeing on your own.
Then a trip to the Ethel M. Chocolate Factory will be provided. And visitors can also spend several minutes in wandering around the Botanical Gardens or the Cacti. Plus, access to the observation deck, generator room and theater is available.
Normally, this Bus Tour costs you 59.99 dollars. It begins at 10 a.m. every day when Hoover Dam opens. Free pickup and drop off service to most Las Vegas hotels are included.
Further Information about Premium Express Bus Tour
2) Hoover Dam Tour by Van or SUV: This tour is perfect for tourists who opt to pay a visit to Hoover Dam in small groups. Visitors would be transported to Hoover Dam by a Sports Utility Vehicle. Once you arrive at the Dam, the tour guide will leave you two hours to browse the Dam and some works of art. Of course, your guide would explain every art work you are seeing when necessary. Besides, the tour guide will tell stories about the constructions of the Dam as well as the history behind statues and the cableway crane.
Free access to the Visitor's Center and observation decks are available and a short movie to help visitors gain a deep understanding of the construction of the Dam would be offered. Visitors who are interested in the generator room can take a mini tour to the room through an elevator. It only takes 3 extra dollars.
This tour also provides free pickup and drop off service at Las Vegas hotels. It is available at both 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. The price of this tour is 99.99 dollars.
Details regarding Hoover Dam Tour by Van or SUV
3) Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Helicopter Air Only Tour: Would you like to see the Hoover Dam by air? This helicopter tour is surely your best choice. The low level flight gives you a chance to see the Dam and the surroundings as clear as possible. Your Hoover Dam trip would be definitely enhanced by the unique aerial view you see when you fly over the Hoover Dam as well as Lake Mead.
As the helicopter will take you back to the Las Vegas city after you visit Hoover Dam, your return trip also turns out to be an amazing experience. You will fly over some other attractions like the Las Vegas Strip.
Generally, the flight trip takes you to fly to Grand Canyon West Rim from Las Vegas. When you fly back, a tour to the Las Vegas Strip will be included. This helicopter tour only costs you 349.99 dollars for a flight about 1.5 hours.
You can catch this tour at 7:30 and 10:40 in the morning or 1:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon. Free hotel to hotel service is available.
Information on Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Helicopter Air Only Tour
4) Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Air Tour: Unlike the Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Helicopter Air Only Tour we mentioned above, this air tour is specially designed for people who prefer a quick tour of the Hoover Dam. Aerial view of a series of attractions such as Hoover Dam, Colorado River and Lake Mead are included.
A tour of the Black Canyon as well as Rainbow Gardens and extinct volcanoes is also offered to enhance your flying tour. Narration of Hoover Dam would be available during the flight. And for safety's sake, you will be accompanied by two pilots.
This air tour is available three times per day. Visitors can catch a tour at 7 a.m., 3:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. with paying 179.99 dollars.
Detailed Information about Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Air Tour
For any questions or further information about all these tours offered by this company, you can email to [email protected]
On Vegas.com, you can also find a variety of tours to Hoover Dam. Prices of these Hoover Dam tours range from 61 to 209 dollars.
1) A Complete Hoover Dam Experience: This is a tour containing stop at Hoover Dam as well as Colorado River. A luxury van will pick you up from your hotel at 9:00 in the morning and then you will be transported to the Black Canyon. And your next stop is the Colorado River.
Visitors would also obtain an opportunity to take a raft trip under the Dam. Your ride in the raft will last for as long as 30 minutes. Therefore, you have sufficient time to enjoy the beautiful scenery around Hoover Dam.
After the raft trip, your tour guide will take you to the Dam to gain an insider's look at one of the largest engineering marvels in the world. At the end of this tour, you will be also offered a great return trip with the surprising view of Lake Mead and the Las Vegas Strip.
Ticket price for this tour is 186.95 dollars. You can book this tour on the following page. Just remember that tickets for February 13th, 15th and 22nd have been sold out already. Note that children aged 8 and under are not permitted to take this tour.
A Complete Hoover Dam Experience on Vegas.com
2) A Discovery Tour of Hoover Dam: As claimed, this is an educational tour for people who want to explore more about the Dam. It would be available at 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. every day excluding Thanksgiving Day, Christmas day and New Year's Day.
This tour features the explanation of the construction and behind story of Hoover Dam. Visit to the Visitor's Center and generator room and access to the all the exhibits inside the center are provided without any additional charges.
When back from Hoover Dam, you can also take a trip to the Ethel M Chocolate Factory where you can explore how chocolate are made. Besides, you will be allowed to enjoy a stroll around the Botanical Cactus Gardens.
Book A Discovery Tour of Hoover Dam on Vegas.com
Other tours on Vegas.com include A Hoover Dam Express, Black Canyon Hoover Dam Kayak Tour and Hoover Dam Classic, etc. Each tour will give you different experience for you to remember for years to come. For more information, click the following link.
Different Tours Available on Vegas.com
For more choices, visitors can turn to VegasTours.com. Trips to Hoover Dam via buses, luxury motors or other transportation are available on this website. Or you can check the following page for mini trips, River Float Trip, Dam Mine Tour and Hoover Dam Adventure Tour and more.
Other Hoover Dam Tours for You to Choose from